December 13, 2008

pre-instruction drawing #3

"draw your hand"

this is my left hand the the fingers raised slightly off the table and
my index finger pressing down.

I COULD HAVE PICKED AN EASIER POSE TO DRAW, THAT'S FOR DAMN SURE.

it's not bad, but it's not great.

the pinkie is too long and the index finer isn't quite right. the
thumb's too meaty and the middle finger isn't meaty enough.

the left side of the hand as it rests is good. the little flecks of
hand hair look really good on the drawing, but aren't that obvious in
the real world.

the shiny part under the index finger (right under the joint) isn't good
enough.

the veins in the back of my hand are apparent in my my super translucent
skin, but they're hard to draw. i have redness around my joints (rather
than obvious knuckles). i try to shade them, but that's not quite
right.

what's weird is ms. edwards spends time stressing how important it is to
SEE what you're drawing ... but in both this one and my self-portrait,
there are things i add THAT YOU CAN'T REALLY SEE, that make 'em look
better.

hmm.

ms. edwards predicts that this drawing may well be a person's favorite
of the three, but my self-portrait might be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unlike other 'blogs b1-66er is involved with, comments on this one will all be responded to. Remember the words of pickles: "it would be kinda lame if they just insulted you."